- Washington National Opera - American Opera Initiative: Approaching Ali
- June 8, 2013 at 7:30 PM
- Terrace Theater, The Kennedy Center, Washington D.C.
Music by D.J. Sparr
Libretto by Mark Campbell and Davis Miller
Based on the book "The Tao of Muhammad Ali" by Davis Miller
In two premiere performances, composer D.J. Sparr and librettists Mark Campbell and Davis Miller's hour-long opera tells the story of a reporter's transformative meeting with the boxing legend Muhammad Ali. The opera will be performed with a chamber orchestra conducted by Steven Jarvi, and receive a complete staging by director Nicole Watson and a design team with mentorship provided by WNO Artistic Director Francesca Zambello.
News & Noteworthy:
- David Robertson appoints Steven Jarvi Resident Conductor of the St. Louis Symphony and Music Director of the SLS Youth Orchestra
- Jarvi returns to Ash Lawn Opera Festival for La Bohème with an all-star cast
- Listen to recent St. Louis Public Radio interview with Steven Jarvi
- Winter Opera annouced 2013/14 Season - Faust, Falstaff and Lucia di Lammermoor
- Read review of Winter Opera St. Louis' production of Tosca starring Stella Zambalis
- Jarvi finalist for Las Vegas Philharmonic Music Director
- Recent Guest Conducting includes: St. Louis Symphony, Las Vegas Philharmonic, Charleston Symphony, Elgin Symphony, Windsor Symphony, Kalamazoo Symphony, Virginia Opera, Rochester Philharmonic and Ensemble Modern
- Watch my vlog Journey Into Sound